Sunday, March 27, 2005

Bridget Jones

"I'm not going to even dignify that with a response." (page 224)

I stumbled across this line, and not that this book isn't disturbing enough on it's own, but this quotation remined me of a line out of Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. I'm not sure exactly why I started thinking of the many adventures of Bridget Jones, but I found a vague parallelism between the movie and this book. Obviously, the book is focused on addction and religion, and Douglas Coupland did a hell of a job (no pun intended) in making the reader realize that one cannot predict the upcoming events in their life, however hard they try. The Bridget Jones plot is not so much focused on religion, but it tackles the addiction theme. Here we have a thirty-somehting British woman that's desperately trying to lose some weight, quit smoking, and finally find happiness with her Mark Darcy. It doesn't tackle heavier issues such as addiction to cocaine or alcoholism, but rather targets a couple of key areas that almost 100% of people struggle with. I guess that's why I liked the movie better, it has a way of relating to everyone but adding a touch of humour to the situation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Five Ladies said...

These are two really good examples. I mean both the book and the movie show us how desperate our society is to find happiness. We will do anything and when that happiness is taken away from us we don't know what to do. Taking drugs or drinking excessively is the only way we know how to deal with our problems and that is due to the media. We think our lives should be like the ones in movies or on tv. It is sad to see how much OUR world has corrupted us.

5:50 PM, March 28, 2005  
Blogger Five Ladies said...

I never saw the movie...

But I think that this whole addiction thing is brought on by ourselves. "The media is the villain." I don't think we should say that, we are always trying to blame our problems on someone or thing other than ourselves. It's our own fault, we should only blame ourselves, not the media. Ya the media can be demonic but only because we allow it to be. We shouldn't use it as an excuse.

8:06 PM, March 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home